Moderate: ghostscript security update
Security Advisory: Moderate
An update for ghostscript is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Moderate. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
The Ghostscript suite contains utilities for rendering PostScript and PDF documents. Ghostscript translates PostScript code to common bitmap formats so that the code can be displayed or printed.
- It was found that the ghostscript functions getenv, filenameforall and .libfile did not honor the -dSAFER option, usually used when processing untrusted documents, leading to information disclosure. A specially crafted postscript document could read environment variable, list directory and retrieve file content respectively, from the target. (CVE-2013-5653, CVE-2016-7977)
- It was found that the ghostscript function .initialize_dsc_parser did not validate its parameter before using it, allowing a type confusion flaw. A specially crafted postscript document could cause a crash code execution in the context of the gs process. (CVE-2016-7979)
- It was found that ghostscript did not sufficiently check the validity of parameters given to the .sethalftone5 function. A specially crafted postscript document could cause a crash, or execute arbitrary code in the context of the gs process. (CVE-2016-8602)
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 x86_64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6 i386
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6 x86_64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6 i386
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6 x86_64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6 i386
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 6 s390x
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 6 ppc64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Scientific Computing 6 x86_64
- BZ - 1380327 - CVE-2013-5653 ghostscript: getenv and filenameforall ignore -dSAFER
- BZ - 1380415 - CVE-2016-7977 ghostscript: .libfile does not honor -dSAFER
- BZ - 1382305 - CVE-2016-7979 ghostscript: Type confusion in .initialize_dsc_parser allows remote code execution
- BZ - 1383940 - CVE-2016-8602 ghostscript: check for sufficient params in .sethalftone5